Follow these steps:
1) Most importantly.... minimize chemical treatments such as perms, and coloring. This causes the hair to be even more weaker than it already is.
2) Avoid styling that requires pulling and tugging(glued in extensions, weaves, and tight braids) This puts stress on the hair.
3) Stay away from heat (Heat takes away moisture from the hair, and if done constantly heat can "fry" your hair).
4) Avoid hair products that contain sulfates (natural oil-stripping detergents), silicones, alcohols or glycols (hair drying and damaging chemicals). This eliminates about 96% of black hair care products available on the market. Silicones make the hair look shiny, but also seal the cuticles and coat the strand so much that additional moisture is unable to penetrate the hair strand.
5) Attempt to wash your hair at least once a week, washing it gets out all of the dirt and old oils out of your hair and scalp. After washing your hair, never rub it with a towel. Gently squeeze it with the towel in your hand, (scrunching).
6) And last but not least... Keep your hair moisturized!!!